The voters have spoken – almost 25,000 of them – and we are thrilled to reveal the winners of our 20th Anniversary Grant Competition below. Congratulations to our champs, and thanks to all the organizations that entered so many wonderful ideas. And special thanks to the landslide of voters who decided which entries would receive our three $20,000 grand prizes.
Education for Economic Success
· Winner: Windham Regional Community Council 3,224 votes
· 1st Runner Up: New Haven Works 3,023 votes
· 2nd Runner Up: Adelbrook 2,179 votes
· Winner: Middlesex Habitat for Humanity of CT, Inc. 3,842 votes
· 1st Runner Up: Columbus House 3,661 votes
· 2nd Runner Up: Capital for Change 1,157 votes
· Winner: Windham Regional No Freeze Hospitality Center 3,364 votes
· 1st Runner Up: Connecticut Veterans Legal Center 3,225 votes
Grow Windham has developed programming in classrooms and afterschool programs at all of the Windham Public Schools, and is implementing community-based projects throughout the community.
Over 60% of the students in the Windham Public Schools have been served by GROW Windham programs. In addition, financial and logistical support has been generated for local community gardens, the Covenant Soup Kitchen, and the NoFreeze Hospitality Center, including over 1000 pounds of produce donated to serve the area’s most food-insecure residents. In the fall of 2014 WRCC received Federal USDA grant to expand the GROW Windham youth and community food project and a separate grant to rejuvenate and modernize the Willimantic Farmers Market.